Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Test cases for validation of AM/FM receiver

From: Seth David Schoen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Test cases for validation of AM/FM receiver
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 17:04:15 -0800

Eric Blossom writes:

> Yes, I've got a couple of 5 second segments of I data collected off
> the air.  Note that it's taken at 20M samples / second, 16-bit, so 5
> seconds is 200MB.  Compressed with bzip2, it's about 38MB.  If you want
> it, let me know where you'd like me to push it.

A theoretical question: why does compressing with bzip2 help with that
kind of data?  Clearly, there are patterns in RF signals, but from what
I understood, I wouldn't have imagined that these were patterns which
bzip2 could compress.  Doesn't bzip2 compression rely on finding
redundancy in the form of repeated strings of bytes?  Why would those
occur so often in RF sample data?

--
Seth David Schoen <address@hidden> | Reading is a right, not a feature!
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   |                 -- Kathryn Myronuk