Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Welcome and brief update

From: John E. Perry
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Welcome and brief update
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 13:00:04 -0500

Marshall White wrote:

The answer is that you must have a "tuner" that takes the signal at 107.5 MHz and
"moves" it down
to a much lower frequency (called an IF, or intermediate frequency).

If you have a 40 MHz sampling rate, any IF less than 20 MHz should more or less
be okay.

If you had a 400 kHz sampling rate, then your IF would have to be CENTERED at
100 kHz.

Marshall

Why does everyone insist on using an if? I seem to recall from my radio classes (admittedly quite a few years ago) that direct-to-baseband IQ conversion keeps all the modulation information present in the signal. For all voice and program broadcast signals the bandwidth is well within even low-end PC sound cards. Phase-locked loops are not trivial, but neither are they hard, to build. Essentially all common signals except hi-fi FM and video signals could be decoded in practically any low-end PC, couldn't they?

What am I not understanding?

John Perry