Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Brooktree / Conexant video capture

From: Dave Emery
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Brooktree / Conexant video capture
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 21:49:23 -0400

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 05:33:11PM -0700, Steve Schear wrote:
> At 15:26 2003-06-02 -0700, Matthew Ettus wrote:
> >> While looking for video capture cards on ebay, I came across this
> >>
> >> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2733118162
> >>
> >> Anyone care to comment on it?
> >
> >This includes ASICs to do the HDTV decoding.  It's probably the fastest and
> >cheapest way to watch HDTV.  It's just not as interesting as doing it
> >yourself
> >:)
>
> I wonder whether this card strips/will strip the recording control flags
> from the video stream.  If not then use in conjunction with a DVHS may be
> limited.
>
> steve

        I have a WinTV-HD card that dumps the entire transport stream to
memory.   No evidence it knows about any stinking flags...

        Of course I don't think it has a means of exporting the data to
a DVHS - that would require code on the PC and another card to support
the interface.

        I haven't kept up with the latest abominations - but last I knew
the broadcast flag was quite literally a bit in an information word in
one type of frame - thus I suppose that software can easily adjust
its state to whatever is desired.   I suppose a more secure broadcast
flag may have been proposed and implemented - clearly encrypting the
broadcast flag stream or using a keyed HMAC on it might make it quite
hard to adjust it in software and get downstream equipment to accept
the video if if you have the MPEG in the clear...

--
        Dave Emery N1PRE,  address@hidden  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
PGP fingerprint 1024D/8074C7AB 094B E58B 4F74 00C2 D8A6 B987 FB7D F8BA 8074 C7AB