Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PCI-DAS4020/12 problem roundup

From: Sérgio Rui Silva
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PCI-DAS4020/12 problem roundup
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 17:50:28 +0100 (WEST)

>Is every one who's having the problem running gcc 3.3?

I'm running Linux Kernel 2.4.21 and GCC 3.2.2 and I found
problems using the MC4020 board.

>Can one of you folks who's having the problem, reproduce this
>outside
>of the GNU Radio framework.  E.g., using test-adc or
>mc4020-read-adc? It'll remove one
>layer of hair in tracking down the problem.

I started by testing the test-adc and mc4020-read-adc programs.
The test-adc always worked great. The mc4020 freezed my computer
at the second run.

>A few well placed printk's in the driver might shed some light.
>Try mc4020_open, mc4020_release, free_buffer.  Also, I suggest
>#defining VERBOSE_DEBUG to 1 then watching /var/log/kernel/* or
>where ever /etc/syslog.conf directs kernel debugging output

I filled the mc4020-read-adc program with "printf"s and found
that the program freezed at the second run when trying to open
the device. The open function doesn't return.

After comparing the test-adc and MC4020-read-adc programs I
found that adding the following code lines to the
MC4020-read-adc program stopped the computer freezing at the
second run:

  sleep(1);

  //Stop receive
  if((ioctl(fd, GIOCSTOP)) < 0) {
    perror("Failed to stop receive");
  }
  else
    fprintf(stderr,"Success: stop receive\n");

  if(close(fd)<0) {
    perror("Failed to close fd");
  }
  else
    fprintf(stderr,"Success: close\n");

I also found that the sleep value is a function of the sampling
rate: a lower sampling rate requiers a bigger sleep time to
achive no freeze status at the second run.

Sérgio Rui Silva

P.S.: I will now try to analyse the problem using printk within
the mc4020 driver...

Words of wisdom:

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of
tapes hurtling down the highway"

Andrew S. Tanenbaun
SAPO ADSL.PT, apanhe já o comboio da Banda Larga. Kit SAPO ADSL.PT - Grátis

http://adsl.sapo.pt