Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] signal decoding

From: Linus Gasser
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] signal decoding
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:36:35 +0200

On Vendredi, 27 Juin 2003 05.15, Justin Zygmont wrote:
> i'm suprised that no one has ever expressed an interest in decoding RF
> signals.  I was wondering how hard it would be to decode a .wav recording
> of, say a GPRS signal to high level data.  Is it as simple as writing a
> module of code to build that kind of functionality into gnuradio?

Hi,
I can only speak for UMTS, but UMTS is really a pain, because it is VERY
complex. So, I think if you write one module to decode it all, it will be a
huge module. For UMTS you'd need about 20 modules for the RF-part and another
20 for the MAC-data part.
 But, as I said, perhaps GPRS is much simpler. But you still won't get it
under 10 modules (syncronisation, demodulator, decoding, re-building packets
a.s.o.)

my 2 cents,

Linus

Linus Gasser                        Phone:       +41 21 693 5635
EPFL                                FAX  :       +41 21 693 4312
Mobile Communications Lab.          email:  address@hidden
CH-1015 Lausanne                    WEB  : http://lcmwww.epfl.ch
SWITZERLAND                Map: http://plan.epfl.ch/?room=INR037