Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Wide Rage solution

From: Dave Emery
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Wide Rage solution
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 19:24:13 -0400

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 03:07:24PM +0200, Linus Gasser wrote:
> On Mercredi, 25 Juin 2003 15.26, Saeed Beyty wrote:
> > Hi
> > reading about Vanu's previuos work i got to an application which used some
> > kind of devices named : AR5000 from AOR Inc. these kind of recievers are
> > wide range ones ( 10KHz ~ 2GHz !!! ) with some very good step size
> > resolution ( 1 Hz),and the output could be 10.7 MHz to 450 KHz, ideal to be
> > used with PCI4020 A/D card .the below is a list of URLs which include some
> > info about different types of these amazing devices !
>
> For what I see, they lack one thing: bandwith. From a signal processing point
> of view, 250kHz is not really enough to do anything interesting. We'd be more
> glad with something in the range of 20MHz...
>
> Linus

        This has been covered before on the list.  The wideband 10.7 mhz
output has more than 5 mhz bandwidth.   And I think the widest IF filter
is 500 khz on the AOR-5000-3.

        But remember what I keep saying - processing multiple signals
in a frequency band (rather than demodulating one single one after
analog IF filtering in the tuner) requires decent dynamic range
in real world signal environments, so that 20 mhz ADC had better have
reasonable SFDR or it is worthless except perhaps for those rare
single signals that are 20 mhz wide all in and of themselves.

--
        Dave Emery N1PRE,  address@hidden  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
PGP fingerprint 1024D/8074C7AB 094B E58B 4F74 00C2 D8A6 B987 FB7D F8BA 8074 C7AB