Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] building local programs

From: Joseph DiVerdi
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] building local programs
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 14:50:51 -0600

At 10:44 AM -0700 7/2/2003, Eric Blossom wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 12:18:41AM -0600, Joseph DiVerdi wrote:
> <snip>
>We generate the Makefile.in's from the Makefile.am's using automake.
>If you look at the Makefile.am's, you'll notice that they are pretty
>short and straightforward.  Much less cruft than the Makefile.in's.
></snip>

Oops, brain cramp on my part! I should have written "Makefile.am". I've dorked
around with _seems like everything_ (with proper backups and restore of course
;) but the ".am" file is where I came to rest for this issue and that's what I
edited. Thanks once more for the healthy comments.

That said I'm now just:

(1) getting my complex down convertor really shaken down (documentation in
progress for those following this piece),
(2) getting my arms wrapped around my sound card (Creative Sound Blaster 16
PCI), its controls, levels, nuances, stupid AGC, etc.,
(3) gaining sufficient C++ familiarity to be effective in stringing all those
most exciting classes and structures,
(4) working out the physics of my first measurements,
    and so on and so forth. Loads of fun. :)

All of this is made more pressing as I am scheduled to make a presentation on
this work later in July. Looks like it will be one of those "works in progress"
talks. ;)

That said I've got a few specific questions that I would like to throw out:

 - I can't seem to locate any reference info or docs on the "NWO_CONNECT"
function

  <snip>
    NWO_CONNECT (audio_source, fft_sink);
    NWO_CONNECT (audio_source,audio_sink);
  </snip>

  nor can I find it in headers. Where can I find some information on it?

 - The sound card is not behaving as I expect it to do so. I've resorted to
injecting a sine wave into the auxiliary input with a signal generator. Using
the example/audio_fft program I find that I can only get the single tone signal
to be around 20-30dB above the noise floor before I start observing distortion
as evidenced by harmonic (both even and odd!) content. Perhaps the noise floor
is high because of cage EMI and/or the resolution is set at 8 bits rather than
16 and/or the acquisition parameters are not set optimally, and/or a bunch of
other things. I'm working through my trouble shooting tree but would (once
again) welcome any advice from those whom have experienced this particular
problem.

Best regards,
Joseph
--