[Discuss-gnuradio] Tuning Hardware

From: Alan Gray
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Tuning Hardware
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 13:33:14 +1000

Hi all, just a quick update on my progress in finding a suitable tuning solution

As I have mentioned previously, we were supplied with a large number of Microtune 4702DT5 tuners free of charge (datasheet available at http://www.mrgray.net/sdr/4702DT5.pdf) These are similar to the 4937 3x7702 modules being used currently but use only a single downconversion stage and output at an IF of 36MHz.

Although we had these units, we decided it was still preferable to get our hands on the 4937 units as this would mean less time would need to be spent designing hardware. Unfortunately, as has been previously noted, finding a supplier for these parts is exceedingly difficult. After contacting all the suppliers in the Asia-Pacific region with no luck, we contacted Microtune direct and were informed that they had ceased production of that line of products, and that they too were unable to supply us with any modules.

They were however very helpful in suggesting a possible solution to our problem. Apparently the 4937 is made from the same components as the 4702, with another device at the output stage to shift the output frequency down to 5.75 MHz. The device they use is an IC from NEC Electronics; UPC2798GR (the data sheet can be found at http://www.mrgray.net/sdr/2798.pdf). Using this IC means that it should be possible to design the desired output frequency.

While the data sheets include a sample design and a sample PCB layout, I have little experience in this area of electronics, especially in oscillator design, so the without any good examples designing the hardware is looking kinda daunting at the moment. Basically it seems to me that I need to feed the output of the 4702 tuner into the 2798 module, as well as a constant local oscillator signal which would then be mixed to produce the desired output frequency. This output would then be low pass filtered and amplified to obtain a suitable output signal. If anyone can assist with some information on how I could easily design the local oscillator (Suggested references, application notes, anything really) it would be much appreciated.

With the Microtune apparently ceasing construction of the 4937, it seems that some other tuning solution must be obtained. As I indicated earlier, our source at Panasonic may be willing to donate a fairly large number (around 500) of the 4702DT5 tuners to the project if we can find an appropriate use for them, so it might be well worth the effort to come up with some sort of solution.

I will continue to work on a suitable design, but any assistance others can provide would be most welcome

Alan