[Discuss-gnuradio] Devices containing 4937 tuner module

From: Ben Gelb
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Devices containing 4937 tuner module
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 23:31:03 -0400

On Friday I tried calling microtune - when I said I wanted to buy
something the nice lady shoveled me onto an answering machine. Go
figure. I haven't yet heard back, likely because it was the weekend. The
outlook isn't good.

In the meantime, I've been doing a little hunting around, trying to find
devices that use the elusive 4937 tuner module. I have found a few.

Two cable modem devices from Hitron, the BWG-3511 and the BRG-3515 use a
"Temic 4937 DI5" module, according to product literature. Since Temic
and Microtune merged, I will assume this is the device we're after.
However, the model number isn't sufficient to tell if it has the 5.75MHz
IF or not.

If anybody happens to come across either of these animals, it'd be nice
to know what's really inside of them. They seem to be very difficult to
find, even eBay is completely void of Hitron cable modems, so perhaps
this is a lost cause.

According to a press release on Microtune's site there is some Cisco
hardware using the 4937, but it doesn't say which.

I've also come across another tuner module from another company that
might be suitable. It's model is the ISG2000J-8M and info is available
here: http://www.isgbroadband.com/data.html. It's output frequency is
listed is 6MHz. I will be putting a call into these folks tomorrow. Will
post the outcome here.

-Ben