Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] $89 EZ-USB 2.0 FX2 devel board

From: David Carr
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] $89 EZ-USB 2.0 FX2 devel board
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 19:27:59 -0500

Eric et al,

I'll keep you guys posted on my progress. I should have the hardware in about 2 weeks. In the meantime I'm developing the ADC module to plug into the USB board. I'm currently laying out a design based on the MAX1422 20Msps 12bit ADC. I'm mostly interested in it because its free (sample), has a package thats big enough to work with (TQPF-48) and runs on 3.3V. Maxim also has the MAX1418, a 15bit 65Msps converter I'm considering. It only comes in a 56-pin thin QFN package which I think would be difficult to work with given by home-brew PCBs and hand soldering. The dynamic range improvement from switching to a 15bit converter may be quite valuable however... decisions, decisions.

Last thing I promise. I'd also like to add an inexpensive fpga module to this system. I've not designed anything with FPGA's before. What FPGA's have specs in the right ballpark but are not that expensive (<$30-40)? I'm biased towards Xilinx parts because they officially support their tools under wine on linux. What are the details on the part used on the USRP?

Thanks again,
David Carr