Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] profiling the waterfall

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] profiling the waterfall
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 12:36:01 -0800

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 02:46:44AM -0600, David Carr wrote:
> I've spent some time profiling the waterfallsink code.  Currently its
> pretty abominably slow.  I'm using python's profile module to do the
> following.
>
> For a given run:
>
> total run time on cpu as reported by the command "time"
> real    0m17.874s
> user    0m16.364s
> sys     0m0.883s
>
> python profile module reported total run time:
> 8.06 sec (8.06 is 45% of 17.87)
>
> Where does the rest of the time go?

Hi David,

You might want to try oprofile too.  I've had good insights from
looking at the output of oprofile and the python profiler.  I usually
start with oprofile.

  http://oprofile.sf.net

Your missing time might be in a shared library such as wx, or Numeric,
or gnuradio-core.  oprofile will show you all the places your code is
using cycles.

Eric