Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PNG's of a neutral hydrogen observation at PARI w

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PNG's of a neutral hydrogen observation at PARI with a USRP.
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 14:14:08 -0400

What's the bandwidth of the 10.7Mhz output of the R8500?

Was this a drift-scan, or were you tracking?

Fellow radio astronomers want to know :-)

I have an USRP on the way from Matt along, with a pre-release DBSRX. It will be interesting
 to compare my spectral observations with yours, in the fullness of time.

Lamar Owen wrote:

Attached are a couple of PNG's made at PARI with one of our two 26 meter parabolics, 60dB of gain/downconversion from 1420MHz to 70MHz, and connected to the 10.7MHz IF output of an ICOM R8500 tuned to 70MHz. I set average_alpha to the ridiculous value of 0.005 to get the smoothness. Just wish I could get a flat passband and 0.1dB per division. :-) The 0.1dB per division won't be too difficult, but the flat passband I understand will have to wait.

The version of usrp_fft.py I used I renamed spectro, and set the frequency scale appropriately, as you will see in the images.

Images are named with date and UTC time, telescope was at zenith and collecting data close to the galactic plane.

I do have a question: I tried to set the fft size to 4096, and got an error when I did that. I need fft's with 65536 or more points, doable?

Progress!