Re: GigE (was Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] DSP based SDR)

From: Harald Welte
Subject: Re: GigE (was Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] DSP based SDR)
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 07:12:14 +0200

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 05:28:56PM -0500, Darrell Harmon wrote:
> >Ideally we want a PCI(-X,-E) attaching A/D converter hardware that can
> >do DMA the data directly into pinned userspace buffers.

> Unfortunately it seems that all the PCI express parts have their
> documentation only available under NDA.

Mh, that sounds really strange.  I've learned a lot about PEX from "PCI
Express Architecture" as published by Mindshare.  It's quite extensive,
but I'm not sure whether the information presented there would be
sufficient for actually implementing PXE hardware 'from scratch'.

> My plans have changed a bit.  I am now not sure the DSP is fast enough
> to handle even a 10 MHz sampling rate.  The DSP only board would have
> just been a side project which I though might be useful.  I had already
> done the design work for the DSP portion of the board with the intention
> of using it along with an FPGA.  The plan now is to have a board
> containing the DSP and FPGA, and a seperate board containing ADCs and
> DACs.  If I have any FPGA IO left over, I will provide a connector for
> possible expansion such as 1394 or GMII.

please keep the gnuradio-discuss list posted.  I might be inclined to
help with 1394, at least on the host (-driver) side [as I don't have any
FPGA/veriog/vhdl skills].

--
- Harald Welte <address@hidden>                         http://gnumonks.org/
                                                  (ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)