Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] VGA-based DVB-T modulator

From: Seth David Schoen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] VGA-based DVB-T modulator
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:45:15 -0700

Johnathan Corgan writes:

> Seth David Schoen wrote:
>
> >Someone proposed this a while ago, but Fabrice Bellard (who is also
> >responsible for cool stuff like the tcc compiler, which lets you use
> >C as a scripting language and lets the Linux kernel compile itself
> >at boot time) has used a VGA card's DAC as an RF modulator to produce
> >a valid DVB-T signal.
>
> I sure wish I could remember where to find it, but I've seen
> demonstrated a program that would generate valid AM waveforms by
> displaying certain pictures on a video screen.  You'd enter a target
> frequency (I think in the HF range) and choose a MIDI sound file, and it
> would "modulate" the CRT display to emit RFI at that frequency with the
> tones riding as AM modulation.  Very spooky.  It was a demonstration of
> the security hazards associated with CRT displays (TEMPEST stuff) in a
> very palpable way.

Probably Tempest for Eliza:

http://www.erikyyy.de/tempest/

There's yet another similar project that I would like to track down
that was using a VGA card.

Does anyone here know if the VGA cards prevent you from controlling
the DAC durinng the blanking intervals?  Are the blanking intervals
implemented in hardware or in software?

--
Seth David Schoen <address@hidden> | Very frankly, I am opposed to people
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | being programmed by others.