Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] The power of N log N

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] The power of N log N
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:40:10 -0700

Lamar Owen wrote:

> Yeah, been tracking CVS on a machine here, and noticed a load of differences.
>
> One quick question: now that tweak_adc_offset is no longer in the repository,
> is the ADC DC offset automatic?  I still see a DC spike in the FFT output.

> In the large FFT case, I notice that the resulting trace is significantly
> thicker, and it doesn't seem to average out.  I'll have to look, but an
> 'fft_smoothing' argument (to thin the trace) would be what I'd need to get
> the resolution I need.

What you are seeing is that ALL points end up being plotted.  If you
assume you have a horizontal screen resolution of 1024 point, but are
plotting a 128 K-point FFT, you end up with 128 points being plotted in
every X position.  Each of those points is likely to be slightly
different in amplitude, so you see a thick line.  Some sort of "video
averaging", to borrow a term from spectrum analyzers, would be necessary
to clean that up.

Matt