Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 3DNow fir test failing under debian with latest u

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 3DNow fir test failing under debian with latest unstable updates
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 01:27:49 -0700

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 12:44:58AM -0400, Krzysztof Kamieniecki wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> It seems like something may have broken in the 3Dnow fir code (on Debian
> Unstable), it may be GNURadio or it may be GCC. Has anybody seen this?
>

> SSE seems to be faster on this processor anyways, is there a recommended
> way of selecting SSE over 3Dnow! ?

The test code has an alignment problem under gcc 4.x (that we should fix...)
When run within the normal gnu radio framework, the alignment
constraint is met and the right answer is computed.

It's safe to ignore the error.

I'm open for suggestions as to how we should select SSE vs 3DNow.
Shall we benchmark the first time through and store the answer?

Regarding:

> model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+
> stepping        : 10
> cpu MHz         : 797.986
> cache size      : 1024 KB

It appears that though you have an AMD64 machine, GNU Radio is
being compiled as a 32-bit app.  Can you send me the output of
uname -a and configure?

Also, is the cpu MHz output right? 800?? Seems way low, unless you're
in some kind of power saving mode (which wouldn't be good for
benchmarking!)

Thanks,
Eric