Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Windows Version

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Windows Version
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:44:28 -0700

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 07:45:11AM +1200, Moir, Tom wrote:

> Apologies for asking this because I think somebody has already asked
> this a few weeks back - is there a Windows version that works? I have
> struggled now for 4 weeks full with two different Linux systems and
> still cannot even compile the core! And that's with a wizzard sitting
> next to me. If I was full time on this I would struggle on but I have
> other things to do.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

Tom,

The windows version is squarely in the *not supported* category.
There is work going on to make it work, but I wouldn't expect it to be
in as good a shape as the Linux platform anytime soon.  For example,
the audio support is currently pretty marginal.

How it will get better on windows is if people who want it to run on
windows actually do some work on the system.  As is, the folks who
have been doing the bulk of the windows port aren't windows users.

On the Linux side, there are *many* people who build the whole system
without problems.  For ease of installation, I strongly suggest that
you stay away from Debian and try building on Mandriva (nee Mandrake)
10.1 Official.  [There are lots of Debian users out there using GNU
Radio, but based on the list traffic, I would say that it requires a
greater level of sysadmin experience than that required for Mandriva.]

Eric