[Discuss-gnuradio] usrp with FreeBSD

From: LRK
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] usrp with FreeBSD
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:26:27 -0500

I am trying to bring up GnuRadio under FreeBSD. It appears there is an
obvious problem with the way devices are handled. I tried to ask Wulf
offline if he had something similar under NetBSD but have not seen a
response. Also I have not found anything in saved e-mail, docs, FAQs,
etc which seem to help.

When I connect the USRP, FreeBSD sets it at /dev/ugen0, the generic USB
driver. This uses 'devfs' which is new to FreeBSD 5.x and to me.

If I run something like usrp_fft.py with the default permissions I get
a failure message on the firmware load. This is expected since I am
running as the user gr and the device is only writable by root.

I chown the ugen0 device to gr and run the command again. The firmware
appears to load properly but then the error messages appear showing the
USRP cannot be found. The message

ugen0: Free Software Folks USRP Rev 2, rev 2.00/1.02, addr 2

appears in the log file but the owner on the /dev/ugen0 has been set back
to root.

I chown the device again and run the .py again. This gives me slightly
different error messages.

All these errors seem to be related to the "look_for_usrp" step. Usrper
seems to find the board to load firmware and that seems to work, changing
the flashing rate of the LED on the USRP and putting the message in the
log file. If the board is actually loaded, the device owner gets changed
back to root.

I am looking thru everything again but any clues would be appreciated.

--
LRK