Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FreeBSD

From: LRK
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FreeBSD
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:34:39 -0500

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 06:49:12PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <address@hidden>, LRK writes:
> >On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 12:59:22PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> >>
> >> To get the desired ownership of particular devices on modern FreeBSD
> >> systems, you need to use the devfs(8) to define rules for non-standard
> >> ownership/modes/permissions etc.
> >
> >Unfortunately, this states the problem, not the solution.
>
> Here is what I have put in my /etc/rc.local to fix my scanner:
>
>       devfs ruleset 10
>       devfs rule add path uscanner0 mode 666

That does indeed work but with one little strangie:

If the USRP is connected and powered up when the boot occurs, the rules
do not get applied.

This can be fixed with  'devfs rule applyset' or with  /etc/devfs.conf
but it is not clear if one or the other is the 'right thing'.

If the USRP is connected after the boot, the rules are applied when it
is found.

So now I can bring up the machine and USRP, login as user gr, and anything
I run appears to load the firmware as necessary. Then it tries to find the
interface and altinterface and fails:

usrp_open_interface:usb_set_alt_interface: failed
could not set alt intf 2/0: Invalid argument
usrp_basic_rx: can't open rx interface
die: lt-test_usrp_standard_rx: usrp_standard_rx::make

This error occurs in usrp_prims.cc code. I do not know if the altinterface
value of 0 is valid but usb_set_altinterface(udh, 0) returns the error.

Still tracing that out.

--
LRK