Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USB2.0 card question

From: Geoffrey Bunza
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USB2.0 card question
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 13:57:16 -0800

There are alot of USB 2 cards for the PCI bus out there, not for ISA.
They all "work" but your mileage may vary...
Your CPU processor speed and bus timing may be too slow to keep up with the net throughput (effective speed end to end) even after you add the new card. I had a Pentium 4 (500Mhz) with a PC100 memory bus with a USB 2 card added to it's PCI bus. Some GnuRadio applications worked great, many did not. It really was below spec of what many people had reportedly used in these applications.
...and it was still great fun to experiment with!

Geoff Bunza

Philip Balister wrote:

We have a guy trying get his computer to talk to a USRP. Unfortunately his computer only has USB 1.1 ports. Does anyone have any experience using a cheap USB2.0 card in such a PC? We are thinking of running out and grabbing a card and trying it.
Thanks,
Philip