Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Assertion Error when running gnuradio examples

From: Michael Ford
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Assertion Error when running gnuradio examples
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 09:48:18 -0500

Eric,

How will I know when the daughterboard code has been updated?

Also, thanks to you and Thomas for your help so far. I've got the coding background for this, but not the DSP background. I'm learning as I go, but as you can imagine, I have my struggles understanding. *laughs*

-Michael Ford-

On 5/20/06, Eric Blossom <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 11:03:03AM -0700, Thomas Schmid wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> GNURadio is under active development. Therefore, file names can change
> and thus tutorials don't reflect the latest changes until they are
> updated. The two file syou found, std_2rxhb_2tx.rbf and
> std_4rx_0tx.rbf, are two different versions for the USRP firmware. the
> first one has two rx and to tx paths, the second one has 4 rx and no
> tx.
>
> When the oscilloscope run, did you see a change in the LED on your
> USRP, i.e., did it first blink fast, and once the oscilloscope was
> running it blinked slower? If, then everything is fine. If not, then
> follow the installation instructions here:
> http://www.comsec.com/wiki?UsrpInstall
> except that I think we are at rev4 for the firmware now, instead of rev2.
>
> The exception you get is probably because you have the wrong
> daughterboard in your USRP. What is the configuration you are using?
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas

Thanks Thomas.  Those are all good suggestions.

Michael,

The problem is twofold.

  (1) You asked the 2.4 GHz daughterboard to attempt to tune to 101.5 Hz

  > usrp_wfm_rcv_nogui.py -f 101.5  # should really be -f 101.5M

  (2) There's a bug in the daughterboard code, that has it blow up
      instead of just cleanly returning a failure code.

[Matt, can you please fix this when you return from Dayton?  This problem
may exist for all the RFX boards.]

Also, the tutorials (like most everything) were written by a
volunteer.  The underlying code base has changed since they were
written.  Perhaps Dawei or someone else can update them if they get a
chance.

Eric