RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question about carrier syncronization fordemodula

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question about carrier syncronization fordemodulating QPSK/BPSK signal.
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 08:54:28 -0400

Eric and my team at Virginia Tech just got done creating a full differentially encoded QPSK transceiver. There’s still a bit left to be done on it, but the basic building blocks should all be checked in by now. For carrier synchronization of a QPSK waveform, we use the classic fourth order Costas loop approach, a block you can find as gr_costas_loop_cc. Set the alpha value somewhere around 0.005 – 0.05 to get started (and play with it from there). The beta value should be about an order of magnitude smaller (it’s been set to 0.25*alpha^2; I’m not sure where that comes from, though). The next two arguments are the max and min frequency deviation in terms of scaled frequency, so 0.05 and -0.05 work well. The final value of the reference phase can just be set to 0. This block’s been around for a bit of time and used in BPSK.

From here, you’ll need to worry about symbol synchronization. We build a complex modified Mueller and Muller clock recovery circuit for this called gr_clock_recovery_mm_cc (this file existed already, but we modified it some). Set mu=0.05, omega is approximately the samples per baud, gain_mu=0.05, gain_omega=0.25*mu^2, and omega_rel_limit=0.5. These values will get you started.

There are other blocks available now to do differential encoding and decoding to handle the phase ambiguity generated by the Costas loop (the final constellation can be in any one of 4 rotations). In the GMSK2 examples, I know the benchmark_xpsk_tx.py generates the differentially encoded QPSK signal. If not there yet, soon the benchmark_xpsk_rx.py should do the synchronization and differential demodulation once a few more things are worked out.

Tom