[Discuss-gnuradio] Wired article

From: Joel Kolstad
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Wired article
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 15:37:58 -0700 (PDT)

Regarding garage door openers -- all of the big-name manufacturers have had
"rolling code" technology that changes the code to open the door for at
least 5 years now.  Nevertheless, there are plenty of old garage door
openers out there (including my own) that use a simple, constant RF burst
and nothing more.  Additionally, the rolling codes systems may not be that
hard to reverse engineer anyway -- Skylink managed to do so with
Chamberlain's system; see
http://news.findlaw.com/andrews/bt/cmp/20050406/20050406chamberlain.html.

I am a little disturbed about Ettus' envisionment of "a world in which
bandwidth is not an issue. People will create applications that will use
that bandwidth, like complete telepresence." -- This strikes me as
tantamount to saying that you envision a world where roads aren't an
issue... you'll just build a vehicle that can drive wherever you want it
to, like into the middle of some nature preserve.  Hopefully it wasn't
Matt's intention to suggest that there should be no regulation of
bandwidth, but rather that there should be large public bands in which
anything goes.  I also hope the comment, "It enables everybody to be a
broadcaster," isn't meant to encourage, e.g., high-power pirate radio
stations on the commercial broadcast bands.

---Joel Kolstad