[Discuss-gnuradio] "Variable" bit rate output block

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] "Variable" bit rate output block
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 20:47:12 -0700

I'd like to write a block that has a variable output rate for a given
fixed input rate.

What I have in mind is something like gr.simple_squelch_cc, but instead
of outputting zeros when the average power is below the threshold,
doesn't output anything at all.

The How to Write A Block document says "Adroit use of forecast and
consume allows variable rate blocks to be built..."

Are there any examples to study?  Perhaps a pseudo code explanation of
what to do?

Thanks,

-Johnathan