Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Comments on "BBN's Proposed extensions for data n

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Comments on "BBN's Proposed extensions for data networking"
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 13:41:02 -0700

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 02:09:06PM -0400, Michael Dickens wrote:
> Here's the first round of comments from me.  I've read through the
> document a few times, and along with the other discussion am slowly
> putting pieces together.  These commends reflect my current beliefs /
> understandings, and of course are subject to change as I get
> corrected / educated. - MLD

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the comments.  I'm only responding to a few of them.
I'll let the BBN'ers deal with the rest ;)

> * p56, 4.6.4: "These items are typically floats, doubles or complex
> values."
>
> --> I would rewrite this to state that "These items can be any
> standard C/C++ element, including ints, floats, doubles, complex
> values, and even structs."  Yes, I've done testing on structs and
> it's possible to send those around.  It's easiest when their size is
> "small", but possible no matter their size.

In reality, it will work with any C++ element for which memcpy is a
valid copy constructor.  This includes many structures and classes,
but not all.

> * p67: Could there be some text about what "C1" and "C2" are, and how
> they are connected to the new m-scheduler?  Are they invoked by the
> encompassing m-block, as part of it's data processing?

They are mblocks "contained" in the one illustrated.

Containment has *zero* to do with scheduling; it's for managing
complexity / reuse.  There is only a single mblock scheduler, and it
schedules *all* messages across *all* mblocks, nested or not.

Eric