Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fun with filter banks - grab many NBFM signals at

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fun with filter banks - grab many NBFM signals at once
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 15:39:31 -0700

Marcus Leech wrote:

> Sounds groovy.

Movie trivia--where does this come from: Groovus!

> Examples like this are precisely why SDR is so cool.  Doing this in
> hardware would be many $$$$, and I'm certain that there's commercial
> equipment out there, costing thousands of dollars, that does precisely
> what this cute little Gnu Radio application does.

It is pretty cool, and lots of fun to work with.  GNU Radio has all the
pieces a radio experimenter needs and you don't even have to snort
solder fumes to get it working (Matt has already snorted enough for all
of us on the USRP.)

I'm pretty new to the code, so I'm hacking up these little apps as much
for the learning as for the actual functionality.  Fortunately I have a
long history with Python, C++, wxPython, cvs, autotools, etc., so I
really can focus on learning the GNU Radio stuff.  If others can make
use of my experiments, all the better.

> Were it not for the "illegal along a couple of dimensions", you could
> tune this to the cellular bands and record conversations.

Well, there is nothing to listen to anymore with scanners since AMPS
will be officially dead in a few months, and then what remains is all
TDMA/GSM/CDMA.  And the FBI/NSA already has the tech they need to
monitor these over the air...

-Johnathan