Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USB2, 32 MByte/s or 480MBit/s?

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USB2, 32 MByte/s or 480MBit/s?
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 23:30:18 -0700

Hi,

I was wondering why can the USRP "only" achieve 32 MByte/s, i.e. 256
Mbit/s whereas the USB 2.0 specifications are 480 MBit/s? The 32
Mbyte/s is mentioned in several earlier posts on the gnuradio mailing
list archive and in the BBN report (freebsd section).

One is 'full-speed' and the other is 'high-speed'. Different chips are required.

That is incorrect. Full speed is 12 megabits per second (1.5 megabytes/s) and the USRP doesn't do full speed, only high speed.

The USRP easily does 256 megabits per second (32 megabytes/s). The USB 2.0 raw signalling rate is 480 megabits per second, or 60 megabytes per second. You can't get the full 480 because there is overhead from packet headers, time between packets, etc. We could probably squeeze a little more bandwidth out of the bus, but it isn't a priority for now.

Matt