[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Tun/Tap

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Tun/Tap
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:38:27 -0700

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 12:02:41PM -0500, Brett L Trotter wrote:
> The directions at
> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~manicka/Research/GnuRadio_InstallationNotes.pdf
> are ridiculously out of date with regards to the gmsk
> implementation.

Don't complain to me about that, complain to somebody who can do
something about it.  I suggest Naveen ;)

> I believe tunnels can be set up with default kernels these days and using
> the "ip tun add tun0 mode ipip" type syntax..
>
> For testing purposes, I'm trying to do a loopback test on the same
> machine (eg out TX, in RX), but am missing the big picture due to the
> documentation.

I suggest two machines.  Otherwise the transmitter hammers the
receiver.  As it says in the README, the boards should be at least 3m
apart.

> Could you point me towards more up-to-date documentation?

As it says in gnuradio-examples/python/gmsk2/README,
See /usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/tuntap.txt

If you don't have that file, then install the kernel-docs
package for your system.

BTW, the instructions in gmsk2/README *do* work.
I was using *exactly* that setup over the weekend.

Eric