[Discuss-gnuradio] Modifying USRP-related code (C, FX2 f/ware & FPGA f/w

From: Kalen Watermeyer
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Modifying USRP-related code (C, FX2 f/ware & FPGA f/ware)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:52:57 +0100 (BST)

Hello,

Apologies for this simple set of questions - I'm a
relative newcomer to developing under Linux.

I am trying to modify the USRP code framework to
handle some custom hardware I've designed which also
uses the FX2 though with a different FPGA (Spartan-3).

I'm running Ubuntu Dapper and have gotten all the
gnuradio packages, passed their configure sanity
checks, run make && make install on all - everything
is built.

I now need to modify the top-level usrp interface C
code (usrp_standard.cc ?), the usrp firmware
(usrp_common.c?), and eventually create my own FPGA
bitfile to be downloaded.

I'd like to have a setup whereby I modify a particular
source, run make to build the affected app and therby
generate a modified binary. Are the default make
output paths setup to handle this - should they point
to /usr/local/bin? or to some dir in my /home
directory?

Also, will the top-level python scripts which call
have to change in their function/method calls? I'd
assume that provided the C code has been built
successfully they'll just call the new code.

Many thanks for any help - and sorry again for my lack
of knowledge on how to get things done under Linux!

Cheers
Kalen Watermeyer

I assume that the make files have been setup to invoke
the right compilers/swig etc depending on the sources
that have changed.

The all-new Yahoo! Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from
your Internet provider. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html