Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] bandwidth for USRP

From: David Carr
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] bandwidth for USRP
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 22:51:18 -0400

All this RA talk makes me curious about what a typical RA IF setup looks like.

Do RA samplers usually employ quadrature sampling (I and Q) or do they sample a "real" signal at twice the desired bandwidth? Also, if the big boys use 1GHz sample rates, what do the little boys use? 10s or 100s of MHz?

If you only have one or two bits of dynamic range there must be a pretty big AGC in the loop.
-DC

Vincenzo Pellegrini wrote:
Hi everybody,
this is probably a silly question, but there's one thing i cannot fully
understand.

Considering that the 2 ADCs per channel on the USRP allow complex
samping at 64Msps, and therefore a 64MHz Spectral Bandwidth, and that my
inexpensive PC just needs 45% of CPU calculation power in order to make
an 8MHz wide FFT of the 8 complex Msps allowed (as a maximum) by the USB
2.0 bus,

doesn't it look like the USB 2.0 is a heavily constraining bottleneck?

And, if I'm not wrong about this, will it be possible in the future to
have a USRP <--> PC interface which doesn't limit us so much.

thanks
(...and apologies in case this question doesn't make much sense)

vincenzo pellegrini