Re: [Discuss-GnuRadio]: tx_chain.v module in usrp_std.v

From: Oussama Sekkat
Subject: Re: [Discuss-GnuRadio]: tx_chain.v module in usrp_std.v
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 21:44:05 -0700

I see.
Thanks.

Also, I was looking at the serial_io.v module but I am not sure what its purpose is or what it does.
If I am not mistaken, it reads the data from the Cypress USB controller chip. What does it do to that data?

Oussama.

On 7/12/06, Matt Ettus <address@hidden> wrote:
Oussama Sekkat wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks for your reply.
> So from what I understand, in the transmit side the digital up
> converters are implemented in the AD9862 chip but the interpolation is
> done in the FPGA.

On the transmit side we use our own CIC to interpolate from whatever
ratio comes over the USB to 32 MS/s.  This is sent to the 9862 which
then interpolates again by a factor of four to bring us to 128 MS/s.
The upconverter is in the 9862 as you say.

> I believe in the receive side the down conversion is done in the FPGA.

Yes, because the 9862 does not have a downconverter in the RX path.

> So  why can't we do the same for the transmit side and implement the
> Digital Up Converters in the FPGA?

Not sure what you would gain from this -- You would use a lot more area
in the FPGA.
Anyway, the bus going to the TX path on the 9862 is multiplexed (I then
Q samples), and we run it at our normal clock rate of 64 MHz.  This
means we can only get 32 MS/s complex across it.  If we did the
upconversion in the FPGA, we would thus be limited to about a 12 MHz
carrier.

> Also, the AD9862 chip contains interpolation filters as well. Could
> those be used instead of the CIC interpolators on the FPGA? that way
> both the up conversion and the interpolation would be done in the
> AD9862 chip and more space would be available on the FPGA.

We use those interpolation filters already, but they only do a factor of
4, so we still need a CIC in the FPGA.

> Oussama.

Matt