[Discuss-gnuradio] module structure and m-block dependencies

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] module structure and m-block dependencies
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 11:44:40 -0400

BBN's code to receive 1 Mbps 802.11 packets will shortly be eligible
for merging in to the real repository (we've sent a signed assignment
to FSF and are just watiting for a countersignature).  In thinking
about where to put it, I realize there's a bit of complexity.

Eventually, many blocks will be m-blocks.   Thus, the won't be able to
be in gnuradio-core, since gnuradio-mblock depends on that.

(If I'm confused about dependencies, it might help to have a
README.modules that is basically tsort input.  configure might even
check this somehow.)

One strategy is to put these files (after renaming to remove the bbn_
prefix and cleanup) in gnuradio-core.

Then, after m-blocks arrive, blocks to handle tap/tun devices will
have to migrate someplace that can use m-blocks (gr-packet?).

I think the big question is what kind of top-level structure to be
imposed on blocks intended for specific purposes.  Perhaps a gr-phy
for things that sort of belong in the IEEE PHY layer makes sense, and
gr-mac.

Perhaps README.modules can also contain the plan for what belongs
where.