[Discuss-gnuradio] UART

From: Andrew Borg
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] UART
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 16:54:54 +0100

Hi all.

I am using the USRP and need to receive the output from the FPGA over pins on the BasicRX board rather than through USB. I need to send these signals to another FPGA board I am using on which I am running a Java processor. I'd like to avoid going via USB as I do not have a USB interface on this second board. I understand that the FPGA already sends the output signal from the FPGA over 16 pins on the RX board - I'm guessing that this is the I/Q complex number generated by the FPGA. However, because of the different clocks on the 2 boards, I need some sort of handshaking protocol. I therefore decided that I'll try to send the signals over RS232.

I notice that there is an RS232 on the BasicRX board but I understand from the schematics that this is not connected to the FPGA but to the BasicTX board. I don't understand why this is so.  Am I correct in saying that there is no UART core on the FPGA sending the signal to the two pins on the BasicRX board?

I guess I could put a UART core on the USRP FPGA myself and output the RX and TX signals on a pair of pins. Has anyone attempted to do this before.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Andrew Borg