[Discuss-gnuradio] My pulsy little friend

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] My pulsy little friend
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 18:31:05 -0400

I tracked the technical details of my pulse interference down. It's the ramp radar at Ottawa airport, nearly 80km from where I am. The radar rotates at 12RPM, which explains me seeing it every 5 seconds. The transmitter produces pulses at about 600Hz, with both 1us and 100us pulses. I got this from one of their technical people. The transmitter produces 21.5KW of peak power, into a 32dBi antenna. The sidebands are suppressed by only 40dB, which is rather poorer than I'd expect. That means that there may be significant energy at 1400Mhz being injected into that +32dBi antenna of
 theirs.   Boo, hiss.

The weather has been lousy for the last couple of days, which curiously enough has caused the radar interference to subside. But with the heavy cloud cover and rain, my baseline is about 5 times wobblier than usual.