Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio website.

From: Trond Danielsen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio website.
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 02:23:01 +0100

2007/3/3, Eric Blossom <address@hidden>:
On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 10:42:49AM -0800, Johnathan Corgan wrote:
> Eric Blossom wrote:
>
> > Another thing to think about is what do we want at
> > http://gnuradio.org? Maybe that's where the "marketing page" goes. Of
> > course we can config apache to redirect it into the wiki somewhere.
>
> I think this is the right approach.  Trac is sort of a minimalist Wiki
> implementation tacked on to a better repository browser and issue
> tracking system.  It's not meant to host "fluff" type stuff, or rather,
> it doesn't really provide a great deal of assistance in doing so.
>
> > Once that's sorted out, perhaps we ought to replicate it at
> > http://gnuradio.org [Violating my own rule, I know.  I'm not sure I
> > can get a redirect installed at http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio,
> >  and JavaScript is out.]
>
> Personally, I'd rather install Wikimedia on gnuradio.org and just use
> Trac for repository browsing and tickets.  There are far more effective
> spam control modules for Wikimedia than Trac, as well as more
> sophisticated math rendering, attachment/inline controls, revision
> control, user accounts, etc.

Seems like a lot of work, possible confusion, and we lose all the
trac integration with the wiki.

I agree! A full blown mediawiki installation for a simple site as the
gnu.org site, would be overkill IMO.

It looks like there's a desire for two things:

  - A nice looking "marketing page" (which could be static)

I have checked out the sources for the gnu.org site, and will look
into it tomorrow, and hopefully come up with some ideas and a proposal
in a couple of days.

  - And the place where we're really getting all the work done (Trac)

Exactly! This is sort of how I picture things:

gnu.org:
- Welcome/introduction/what is gnuradio and SDR?
- Use cases/glossy examples ( think marketing :) ).
- How do I get this? -> Point to wiki at gnuradio.org

gnuradio.org
* Getting started:
 - download
 - requirements
 -install: Distro specific and generic
* Getting help
 - commercial support and training.
* Get in touch
 - mailing lists
 - irc (yes, you can actually find some of us on #gnuradio on freenode.net )
* Documentation
 - API
 - Examples (practical, not the shiny ones on gnu.org)
 - Suggested readings.
 - List of talks, presentations and videos.
* Contribute (already on gnu.org)

Puh, thats about it (concider this a note-to-self(r) and others :) )

At last, thank you for all the feedback. I hope that you find this
useful and that it will help bring GNU Radio to a larger group of
people!

--
Trond Danielsen