Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] mblock update

From: George Nychis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] mblock update
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 09:49:28 -0400

Eric Blossom wrote:

> Still remaining are:
>   * gluing mblocks and flow graphs together in the same system

Part of this includes the scheduler, right?

When we get to the point of the scheduler I want to toss it up for discussion.
Or we can
just toss it up for discussion now :D  I haven't been fully convinced by the
BBN doc that
it's the kind of scheduler we want and that we can't get a scheduler that
inter-operates
with both m-blocks and traditional blocks.

When we first started working on the in-band project and we were looking in to
the BBN
doc, something struck us wrong about the scheduler. (us being me and Thibaud)
We think
its catering too much to the m-block when you can create a scheduler that can
operate with
other blocks users might create that desire priority queues.  Basically, we see
increased
complexity in the system by running two schedulers, one of which caters to a
specific
block type.  On top of that, two schedulers is going to add additional
scheduling
overhead.  We want to either mash them together and try to build a scheduler
that works
with both types of blocks, or at least not cater the new scheduler so much to
m-blocks,
but to make m-blocks work with it.

We're not sure what's 100% feasible and not, which is where you come in :D  But
we think
it's at least worth some more discussion.

- George