Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Codec inclusion policy

From: oystein
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Codec inclusion policy
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 01:18:50 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 10 May 2007, Håvard Espeland wrote:

What are the requirements for codec inclusion in Gnu Radio? Do you have
to own copyright on the code, or is GPL licensing sufficient. I'm
working on a project using the LPC10 files from HawkVoice[0]
in Gnu Radio, and am wondering if it's possible to submit bindings and
the codec upstream.

On a side note, since the LPC10 seems to be a voice codec: Has any thought been given lately to perhaps integrating gnu radio and gstreamer in any way?

While gstreamer has lots of audio/video formats/codecs and processing blocks, gnu radio seems to have lots of rf signal processing/ modulation blocks.

I am using gstreamer extensively for non-radio-related projects and to me it seems like the two projects are quite similar and could be integrated.

I searched the net shallowly and the most relevant I could find was ..

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2002-02/msg00013.html
  http://www.omgwallhack.org/home/jblake/app.html

.. of which the former basically is an old question like the one I am posing now, and the latter talks about interfacing GStreamer directly to the USRP, bypassing the gnu radio processing framework.

Sorry if I am way off here or if this is a FAQ.

Oystein Homelien, CVO             |  address@hidden
PowerTech Information Systems AS  |  http://www.powertech.no/
Nedre Slottsgate 5, N-0157 OSLO   |  tel: +47-2301-0010, fax: +47-2301-0001