Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] usrp not found until power cycled

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] usrp not found until power cycled
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 21:19:17 -0400

On May 11, 2007, at 4:07 PM, Johnathan Corgan wrote:
Jiri Pittner wrote:
I just obtained a brand new USRP and it seems to work fine (so far WFM via TVRRX tested), however, after the python script ends, fffe:0002 disappears from lsusb
and gnuradio cannot find the USRP until I cycle the usrp power.
I am running gnuradio 3.0.2 on a up-to-date gentoo with 2.6.21 kernel.

This is a known bug in the USRP firmware affecting versions 3.0.3 and
older when using Linux kernel 2.6.20 and newer.  You can obtain a
version of GNU Radio with a fix applied by using the Subversion version
control client as documented:

http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/BuildGuide

The stable branch in the repository that you need to check out is:

http://gnuradio.org/svn/gnuradio/branches/releases/3.0

Interestingly, I recently create a VMware VM with Ubuntu Fiesty specifically for GNU Radio (and an otherwise identical one with Edgy). I'm using the latest SVN, and it seems to still have this issue, or maybe something related to it. I even added a comment to the Ubuntu install guide on the GNU Radio Wiki to that effect, the primary reason being that this does not seem necessary with the Edgy VM, and thus it's a high probability of this being an issue between the newer Linux kernel and the USRP's USB code.

Actually, rebooting doesn't always work either, but more often than not it does the trick; seems to have something to do with hot- plugging the USRP versus booting up with it already plugged in, at least in my testing.

Again, this is with the latest SVN, which includes USB fixes ... I can add that the official 3.0.3 release (before the fixes) just doesn't work on Fiesty, so the fixes are getting closer to providing full ("correct") functionality under the new kernel. - MLD