[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Transfer function Basic TX

From: Patrick Strasser
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Transfer function Basic TX
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 15:13:31 +0200

Hello Giuseppe!

address@hidden wrote on 2007-05-21 12:57:
> Hi, i'm an Italian student.

Not far from Austria!

> I'm using an Oscilloscope with Basic Tx and finding a strange behaviour
> sending
> a costant value of 20000. I see a sinusoidal wave generated from Nco (fine
> modulator) + coarse modulator in this way :

You output a constant value and get ripple?

> 32 MHz -> only coarse -> 670 mVpp
> 16 MHz -> only coarse -> 730 mVpp
> 0.5 MHz -> only fine -> 680 mVpp
> 0.1 MHz -> only fine -> 570 mVpp
> After this frequency, Tension gets down:

I interpret Tension as Voltage.[1]

> 12.5 KHz -> only fine -> 148 mVpp
> 1 KHz -> only fine -> 13.3 mVpp

> [...]
> I can't explain the Tension drop after
> 100kHz.

That one's easy:
The Basic-daughterboards are transformer-coupled [0]. This means you
won't get DC and low frequency (f < 1MHz) over these boards. If you need
that frequency range, the LF{RT}X-boards are the right ones for you.
Note: The Basic-Boards do not have aliasing filters, so you should be
able to receive signals from 1MHz to about 250MHz with aliasing. The
LF-Boards have a 30Mhz-aliasing filter, you get the range 0Hz < f <30MHz.

Patrick

[0] http://www.ettus.com/Download.html
[1] That's more than expected at 100kHz
Patrick Strasser <patrick dot strasser at  tugraz dot at>