Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] swig question

From: Brett L. Trotter
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] swig question
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 19:07:09 -0500

Brett L. Trotter wrote:
> I've made a swig wrapper for some code that needs a char pointer passed
> in, how do I do such a thing?

Thinking about this more, maybe I need to give more information.

I've wrapped Phil Karn's FEC library and I'm trying to call encode_rs_char:
 void encode_rs_char(void *rs,unsigned char *data, unsigned char *parity);
I passed it a string of a correct length, like I did for data, and it
only complained about the one for parity

my python looks like this

from fec import *

def main():
        # make a test string with a predictable value
        teststr = ''
        for i in range(127):
                teststr = teststr + chr(i)
        # make a 127 byte long string to fill with parity
        paritystr = chr(0) * 127
        # create a handle for the reed-solomon function with the right
params
        rs_handle = init_rs_char(8, 0x187, 1, 1, 128, 0)
        # do the actual encoding
        encode_rs_char(rs_handle, teststr, paritystr)

main()

and I get:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./test.py", line 18, in ?
    main()
  File "./test.py", line 15, in main
    encode_rs_char(rs_handle, teststr, paritystr)
TypeError: in method 'encode_rs_char', argument 2 of type 'unsigned char *'

so what can I pass it?