Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help getting started on gnuradio software

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help getting started on gnuradio software
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 10:37:53 -0700

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 10:49:22PM -1000, Angela Kahealani wrote:
> Does anyone have good pointers for info about
> GnuRadio running on the MC PCI-DAS4020-12?
> I know it was supported before the USRP came along.

Hi Angela,

As far as I know, nobody's used that code in quite a while.  There is an
mc4020 driver that works for 2.4, and more-or-less works for 2.6 (but
doesn't properly create dev files).

driver:

  ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gnuradio/mc4020-0.9.tar.gz

old GNU Radio glue code, needs work to fit in with new build system:

  ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gnuradio/gr-mc4020-0.5.tar.gz

It may make more sense to check out the comedi driver
(http://www.comedi.org/hardware.html).  I believe it's being actively
supported.  We do have a gr-comedi package, but I don't think it's
gotten any real testing.  It may be a good starting point.

FWIW, folks prefer the USRP to the DAS4020-12 since it's does a whole
lot more (including the RF to IF conversion) and costs less.  Of
course, if you've already got a 4020...

Eric