[Discuss-gnuradio] Making and Installing a New Block

From: Franklin Sands
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Making and Installing a New Block
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 10:24:51 -0500

OK I did some more trouble shooting to narrow down the problem.  I
decided to start with C++ code from a block that I knew already
worked.

I extracted the file gr-howto-write-a-block-3.0.4.tar.gz.  I then
installed the block using the normal configure, make, and make
install procedure.  I then created a python program called
squaredaudio.py to test the howto_square2_ff block.  It worked
correctly.  I've attached this file.

Then I created new c++ source files in the topdir/src/lib/
directory.  They were howto_square3_ff.cc and howto_square3_ff.h.
The goal here was to create a copy of the howto_square2_ff block
only under another name.  I copied the source files for the square
2 block into the source files for the square 3 block.  I changed
the names from square2 to square3.    I modified the howto.i with
the additional lines of codes for the new block.  I based these off
of what was already in the file for square_ff and square2_ff.

Next I modifed the file topdir/src/lib/makefile.am.  I added the
file names howto_square3_ff.cc and howto_square3_ff.h next to the
places where the file names for the other blocks were.

All other files were left as they came in the tar.gz file.  When
the block is installed I don't get an error.  However when I run my
test program I get an error which I've included in error.txt.

The main part seems to be:
/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gnuradio/_howto.so: undefined symbol:
_Z21howto_make_square3_ffv

This error is the same whether I try to use the howto_square2_ff or
howto_square3_ff block in squaredaudio.py.

I get the feeling I'm supposed to modify some other files but I can't figure
out what to change.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Keith