Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Contribution: ofdm system

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Contribution: ofdm system
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 09:04:58 -0700

Dominik Auras wrote:

> No, it is not published. And I have got the permission to publish parts of
> the code. I.e. if you want to see the code, I will need to move the needed
> parts into a new project/makefile structure. As we don't use your normal
> packet transmission scheme (ofdm mod/demod in python etc.), I also need to
> put the code into that framework.
>
> So, as you say that there is chance that you will accept it, I will start to
> move the code. It will take me some time, since I am going to do this after
> work and studies.

Understood, and thanks again.

> | All of the host code in GNU Radio is copyrighted by FSF, so
> | if we do incorporate it, there is a copyright assignment
> | process you'll have to go through.
> I think this will be possible.
>
> Any preferences for the system? Should it use a similar framework as your
> ofdm example? Directory outside the gnuradio tree, or inside the
> gnuradio-examples directory?

For now, if you can create a module tree in the format of the
"howto-write-a-block" code, that will make it easiest for us to compile
and evaluate.  This module allows you to create C++ blocks, Python
hierarchical blocks, generic Python helper code, executable python
scripts, and QA code, in one convenient build tree.  Each of those can
then be installed into all the right system locations to appear as part
of the GNU Radio framework. (Let me know offline if you want help doing
this.)

This will also let you maintain whatever existing partition you've made
between the modulator, packetizer, etc., and not force you to
re-implement that in our packet framework.  Once we get a chance to look
at it, we can see how we might use it as-is or refactor it to fit in
with the way things are done currently.  Or, perhaps you're doing some
things a better way and we'll change our stuff to match.

Regarding licensing, the best way to do it is to initially publish this
separate module tree under your own copyright with the GPLv3 license for
everything.  That way everyone here on the list can evaluate it and
comment.  If we decide to incorporate it into GNU Radio, then we can do
the copyright assignment paperwork, etc.

--
Johnathan Corgan
Corgan Enterprises LLC