Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] speeding up elementary functions: constraints

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] speeding up elementary functions: constraints
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 09:25:17 -0800

Patrick Strasser wrote:
Hello!

Following the discussion about Intel libraries[0] and sse optimization[1], I did some literature recherche about elementary functions (trigonometric functions, log, exp). In particular I hope to find some clever methods to speed up atan and sin/cos, which would be very handy for all the FM stuff. But I need some parameters to find useful methods:

I think that having a family of speedups for common operations would be nice. We can categorize them as to accuracy so that you can choose the real operation if you can't tolerate reduced accuracy. Also, it is almost never necessary for us to have full double precision operations. We almost always use single precision and often that is overkill.

Here are a few quick tips I found looking around, which might be useful for gnuradio:

http://www.dspguru.com/comp.dsp/tricks/alg/sincos.htm
http://www.dspguru.com/comp.dsp/tricks/alg/mag_est.htm
http://www.dspguru.com/comp.dsp/tricks/alg/mag_est2.htm
http://www.dspguru.com/comp.dsp/tricks/alg/fxdatan2.htm