[Discuss-gnuradio] Soft-DVB has reached realtime

From: Vincenzo Pellegrini
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Soft-DVB has reached realtime
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 01:33:08 +0100

hi list,

I'm very happy
to be able to communicate that Soft-DVB, my fully software, GNURadio
based implementation of ETSI DVB-T digital television standard (EN 300
744) has reached full real time operating capabilities on a 3 years old,
single core pentium4, 3 GHz.

If we're lucky (a couple of things must go the right way with my
undergrad academic activities here in Pisa, Italy :D)  GNURadio will
soon be able to include a fully functional DVB-T modulator...

in this email you can find the link to a video of a trial DVB-T
transmission lasting almost 13 minutes, which, if performed in virtual
time, would require approximately 25GB of storage capacity, read at a
stable rate of 32MBps.

the high performance Seagate Barracuda disk, present in previous videos
on top of the PC's metal case, has been removed to show that I'm making
no use of high throughput storage devices...
also,the video is very long, in order to show that what I'm sending out
is not a pre-calculated loop but a single, realtime transmission in
which the COFDM signal is calculated "on the fly" from the MPEG2
transport stream that is fed to the Soft-DVB application.

the video is an h264 as usual
thanks for reading...
vincenzo

http://httpwww.interfree.it/Realtime_Soft-DVB.mp4

ps

tha file is very big.. but it's significant from the beginning.. so that
one can stop downloading it aftere a while.. without losing the main
points of it...