Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OLPC - next generation with SDR?

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OLPC - next generation with SDR?
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 23:46:17 -0500

John Gilmore wrote:

> My first thought is to just increase the sample rate and effective
> bits per sample of the audio processing hardware, and increase the
> number of channels so that ordinary stereo audio can happen
> simultaneously with analog I/O.  I think it's a crime that cheap
> analog I/O chips top out at 200 kilosamples per second.

I think that adding a fast, complex, sampler capable of doing many
megasamples, with
  DMA support, etc, would be a worthy goal.   A little anti-alias
filtering and some
  digitally-controllable gain (70dB or more) in front of the samplers,
and you have
  yourself a nice little HF receiver.   I wonder if you could suck the
entire 30Mhz
  of HF spectrum into the Geode in one gulp if there's adequate DMA
support, etc?

If not, you'd probably like some hardware-based DDCs and decimators, etc.