Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Cell in a laptop...

From: John Clark
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Cell in a laptop...
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:46:39 -0800

Eric Blossom schrieb:
On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 09:33:48AM -0800, Matt Ettus wrote:

Cell processor in a laptop at CES...

   http://crave.cnet.co.uk/video/0,139101587,49295004,00.htm

The article doesn't quite get it right (no surprise there)...

The SpursEngine is a media coprocessor that has 4 SPEs in it and
dedicated h/w for MPEG-2 and H.264.

No PPC, not a "Cell Broadband Engine"

This article seems a bit more grounded:

  http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20071017/140756/

Eric

I read some of the article and had a moment of humor...
-----
Image recognition-related algorithm engineers naturally insisted that processing capacity
is never too much, but we finally decided the number of SPEs in consideration of the
balance between processing capacity and the size of a circuit area that an LSI for digital
electronics can afford.

-----

I was heartened to see that in the area of image recognition things haven't changed in 20
years... we were telling managers that these were hard problems, and dispite that, they
would sell pie-in-the-sky capablity, and of course, without any attendent development
budget... because all it was some software...

John Clark.