Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Odd build error on Fedora 8

From: Steve Bunch
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Odd build error on Fedora 8
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:47:28 -0600

> I've been using GNURadio on FC6, and have just upgraded to Fedora 8. Clean > install of GNUradio 3.1 SVN stable branch on a 32-bit x86, simply following > the directions on the wiki (which keep getting better - thanks!). Everything
> builds up to the usrp documentation, which gives this odd error:
> xsl:import : unable to load
> http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/html/docbook.xsl
> What's odd about it is that the network-resident .xsl file is eminently
> accessible (URL was copy/pasted from above error message):
> Has anyone seen this?  I'm downloading source to xmlto, but if it's a
> well-known problem, I'll stand down.

So here's the deal. I still don't know why, but the file /etc/xml/ catalog is missing some entries on my system. A friend is installing Fedora 8 and appropriate packages to see if he can repeat this.

xmlto is a shell script that executes xsltproc with a parameter telling it NOT to go to the net (explaining my odd error message), so it uses /etc/xml/catalog to find a locally cached copy of the style sheets instead. My catalog file was broken, so it failed. If this happens to you, this can be worked around by adding the following before the last line of /etc/xml/catalog:

<rewriteSystem systemIdStartString="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current " rewritePrefix="file:///usr/share/sgml/docbook/xsl- stylesheets-1.73.2"/> <rewriteURI uriStartString="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current " rewritePrefix="file:///usr/share/sgml/docbook/xsl- stylesheets-1.73.2"/> <rewriteSystem systemIdStartString="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/1.73.2 " rewritePrefix="file:///usr/share/sgml/docbook/xsl- stylesheets-1.73.2"/> <rewriteURI uriStartString="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/1.73.2 " rewritePrefix="file:///usr/share/sgml/docbook/xsl- stylesheets-1.73.2"/> <system systemId="log4j.dtd" uri="file:///usr/share/sgml/log4j/log4j.dtd "/>

This is a manual merge of the key lines from fc6 with the pathnames from Fedora 8. (The last line was along for the ride, I don't think it's relevant here but left it in.) If someone who's running a Fedora 8 system successfully would privately send me a copy of their file to look at, I'd appreciate it.

With that change, GNURadio is building and running fine now.

Thanks!

Steve