Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio C++ engineer wanted

From: Jeff Brower
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio C++ engineer wanted
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:52:11 -0600

Eric-

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 09:13:48AM -0600, Jeff Brower wrote:
> > Toby-
> >
> > > I hope no one minds me putting this up here:
> >
> > I took a look at the Path Intelligence website.  It's actually the case
> > that you
> > would track individuals to within a few meters using their cellphones
> > without their
> > knowledge?  What about privacy concerns?  It's one thing to be monitored by
> > security
> > video in "expected" places (entrances, store isles, ATMs, etc), it's
> > another to be
> > tracked.
>
> <cypherpunk-rant>
>
> With GSM, at least as far as the specs read, you wouldn't expect
> personally identifiable information in the clear.  You would expect to
> be able to see a TMSI (temporary mobile subscriber ID).  Now, like
> many big systems, what's on the air, and what's in the specs may
> differ.
>
> From a reality-based point of view, if you are carrying a cell phone,
> and it's powered up, you are in fact carrying a locator device.  How
> do you suppose they make your phone ring?
>
> There is a reason some folks prefer pagers.
>
> You may enjoy reading up on the "Enhanced 911 System" E-911.  It
> mandates that cell phones in the US be locatable to within X meters
> under particular conditions.  There are two obvious ways this can be
> done: (1) your phone has a GPS receiver (or part of a GPS receiver) in
> it and thus has to cooperate to reveal your location, or (2) some kind
> of third party geolocation system is used to locate you without your
> phone's overt cooperation.  The E-911 stuff was passed under the "If
> it saves only one person's life..." rationale.  For additional fun,
> dig up the testimony of the FBI director during the CALEA procedings.
> Basically he said, "We don't want the location info, just the call
> setup info."  A cynic might say he got what he "didn't want" by way of
> the E-911 "safety" regulations.
>
> Don't want to be tracked?  Don't use a cell phone.

Thanks yes we know this, it's beside the point.  The point I raise is privacy
concerns, tracking by people for purposes of knowing your personal habits --
not to
save your life when you do dial 911.  For example commercial entities who want
know your buying habits regardless of whether you manually dial a number, click
on a
web page, etc.  I don't really care myself... nevertheless, it's along the
lines of
the Beacon thing that bit Facebook.  Many people are / would be "surprised" to
find
out someone else knows what they bought, where they went, etc. when they didn't
expect it.

Maybe you're right, it's inevitable.  But I don't think it helps the cause of
GNU
radio at government agencies for people to be using it for such purposes.

-Jeff