[Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 gigabit ethernet code

From: Jennifer Ann Petersen
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 gigabit ethernet code
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 13:10:37 -0500

Hi there,

I've been looking through the USRP2 gigabit ethernet code, and had a few questions.

I noticed that the code for the USRP2 uses the open source gigabit ethernet IP core from opencores.org but that it has an additional "Wishbone compliant core host interface" (specifically I'm looking at MAC_top.v ) that isn't present in the version available from opencores.org. I'm not terribly familiar with Wishbone, and I'm having some trouble identifying its role in the USRP2 code I'm looking at - I saw that it's supposed to be a standard interface between IP cores.  It looks like the Wishbone inputs/outputs are tied to the internal signals for the IP core - so is  it supposed to be some way of defining which registers, etc on the  physical hardware get used for the registers, etc in the core? If so, does that mean that anyone that uses that core needs to use the Wishbone interface?

 Thank you!
 Jennifer